Last month I was in New York and of course we had dinner at Nobu again. It was delicious as usual. I had to order the rock shrimp tempura with creamy spicy sauce again. Its just to good. Back home I remembered that I have the nobu cookbook somewhere in my extensive cookbook collection. But after trying a green tea creme brulé which turned out horrible I was afraid to try anything else from the book. I scrolled through the pages and there it was: Shrimp tempura with creamy spicy sauce!
A kids free weekend and valentines day looked like a good opportunity do some serious cooking.
It turned out really nice but I stick to it: The Nobu cook book is not a good cookbook. It's like he would not really want you to make the dishes as good as they do at Nobu. Every now and then some essential information is missing. Like the creamy spicy sauce is basically just a mayonnaise and you get the recipe to do that but then it just says ad the chili garlic sauce... After looking in the index I fond a note in the glossary where it said:
chili garlic sauce: this fiery sauce is made from a blend of fresh, roasted or dried chilies and garlic, sugar, salt, vinegar and some other seasonings.
Hello !? Why not just give the recipe ? Or should I order the sauce at Nobu?
Anyway here the recipe:
12 small shrimps
vegetable oil for frying
1 tb clarified butter
shiitake mushrooms, stems removed
4 tbs ceramy spicy sauce
1 ts yuzu or lemon juice
1. Prepare the shrimps - remove head and shell. Rinse and drain. Remove legs and reserve for deep frying.
2. Heat a medium frying pan on medium heat ad he clarified butter and sauté the mushrooms.
3. Bring about 5 cm of oil in a medium pot to 170° ( I don't have a clue how much this is but hey just hot I guess). Dip the shrimp (and what else you like ) in the batter and fry for 1-2 minutes. Drain on paper towels. Fry the reserved shrimp legs (without batter). Drain
4. Add the fries shrimp ann creamy spicy sauce to the mushrooms, then add the yuzu juice. Ad the fried shrimp legs last as they crumble easily.
5. Decorate with chopped chives.
Creamy spicy sauce:
1/2 tsp sea salt
2 tbs rice vinegar
200 ml vegetable oil
1 tbs and 1 ts chili garlic sauce passes through a sive.
Make a mayonaise by mixing the eggyolks, salt, pepper, vinegar and then gradually whipping in the vegetable oil a little at the time.
Add the chili spicy sauce.
1 egg yolk
200 ml iced water
100 gr all purpose white flour
Add the egg yolk to the iced water and mix well. Stir in the flour until just combined. The batter should not be smooth but a little lumpy.
My tip: serve with avocado tempura. Delicious!